The Housekeeping staff cleans and maintains the museum buildings, grounds, and vehicles to ensure a healthy and pleasant experience for visitors and to provide a safe, clean work environment for staff and the museum’s collections. This is an essential staff position.
• Working under the direction of the Housekeeping Supervisor, clean assigned areas of the museum facility, grounds, central plant, and offsite warehouse facility. Cleaning duties include: sweeping, mopping, waxing, vacuuming, dusting, trash removal, break room cleanup, and washing windows. Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
• Operate vacuum cleaner, buffer, floor polisher, floor scrubber, and pressure washer safely, using prescribed methods and cleaning chemicals.
• Maintain the museum facility to ensure all areas are clean and free from slip, trip, and fall hazards; report maintenance needs to the Housekeeping Supervisor.
• Check email and work-order system for special cleaning assignments during each shift.
• Cleaning areas immediately that are soiled due to accidents, and assist with flooding hazards, oil or chemical spills, etc.
• Assist with evacuation and emergency procedures as needed.
• Operate dishwasher, load/unload; stock kitchen supplies.
• Weekend duties are required. In addition to routine cleaning, also perform weekend inventory audit and submit to the Housekeeping Supervisor.
• Maintain confidentiality of museum non-public information.
• Perform other duties as requested and as time permits.
Skills and Requirements
• Ability to work congenially with museum staff, visitors, volunteers, and vendors.
• Ability to move items up to 25 lbs.; mobility over large areas. Ability to climb and work from a step ladder.
• Operate power equipment including power washer, buffing machine, carpet cleaning machine, etc. according to established procedures and in a manner that ensures the safety of persons and objects.
• Must be able to work weekends, evenings, and holidays as necessary. Must be available for overtime work when necessary.
• Must be responsible and flexible; able to use good judgment.
• Ability to understand safety procedures; must exactly follow safety regulations, which include lock-out/tag-out procedure, hazard communication program, and bio-hazard procedures
• High school diploma or equivalent required trade school training a plus.
• Experience in building maintenance or janitorial work required.
• Must be able to write, understand, and to follow written and spoken English.
• Be proficient with computers, able to read and print email (MS Outlook) and work order system, complete and update inventory lists.